Hey guys and girls, I know you all heard me talking last year about possibly doing a few duathlons in 2009. If you're not familiar with a duathlon, it's run-bike-run. Like a triathlon but running on the first leg instead of drowning, I mean swimming, that those crazy triathletes do.
It's official, I just got my USAT license so I can do a few duathlons in south Florida this year. These are sprint duathlons, each event is a bit different, but it's basically a 1 mile run - 10 mile bike - 3 mile run. A USAT (USA Triathlon) license is good for the following events:
- Triathlon: swim-bike-run
- Duathlon: run-bike-run
- Aquathlon: run-swim-run
- Off Road: like the Xterra series of off road triathlons which is swim-mountain bike-trail run
- Winter Triathlon: run-mountain bike-cross country ski
- Other Multi Sport Disciplines: for example Aqua Bike, which is swim-bike.
I'll probably be doing the SOUTH FLORIDA DUATHLON SERIES. I can't do the Singer Island one on June 7, my husband Rob and I will be out in Tahoe doing America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride with Team in Training.
There are 7 races in the South Florida Duathlon Series:
1. February 8, 2009 - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
2. March 1, 2009 - CB Smith Park, Pembroke Pines
3. March 22, 2009 - Tradition Town Center, Port St. Lucie
4. June 7, 2009 - Singer Island, Riviera Beach
5. July 4, 2009 - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
6. August 30, 2009 - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
7. October 18, 2009 - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
Anyone else out there into duathlons? Have you done any of these events, or the ones down in Key Biscayne at Crandon Park? Looks like there is only 1 duathlon scheduled for Singer Island this year, used to be a trilogy.
The Miami 1/2 Ironman duathlon takes place on November 8th - what the heck is the distance for that? I think it's a 1 mile or 6.2 mile run - 56 mile bike - 13.1 mile run? Cool - who wants to do it? So let me know what duathlons you've got scheduled for 2009, and I just might see you there.
Lynn Smythe AKA the Bike Diva