Have you ever thought about cycling to work instead of taking that dusty old car that burns too much gas and always keeps a whole in your pocket. Well now you have an option that does not involve polluting the atmosphere and at the same time allows you to get back in shape. Why not ride your bike to work instead of driving.
Here are my tips:
1. Know the bus line schedule. Did you know that most major cities have installed bike racks on their buses? That is right! You actually can ride your bike to a bus stop, put your bike on the bus rack and ride a commuter bus close to your job. Then bike the rest of the way.
2. Rent a Bike from Commuter Bike Racks - You heard me. Some cities are really getting into bike riding commuting. There are actually commuter bike rental stops around major cities. It involves renting a bike a destination A and riding the bike to destination B and turning the bike back in at destination B. What a great concept. Now you don't have to worry about your bike during work, just rent and forget.
3. Have the right equipment - If you already have a bike don't go out and buy a new bike. But you may want to consider a new bike after a year after you have more experience. Mass marketed bikes are not the best choice. They are usually very heavy and will put your body through much more stress. Visit cycle shops around your town and don't go cheap but find a bike that is within your budget that will provide you a safe and reliable ride.
4. Dress Appropriately - I know, this is probably common sense but I actually say a commuter biking there bike in a suit. A suit, could you believe it. I am not the one to tell people what to wear but come on a suit.
5. Ride on the ride side - When riding a bike you should alway ride with the traffic. You should also learn hand signals for turning. This gives other a heads up if you plan to turn right or left. This will avoid an accident for you or the car behind you.
I hope that you consider the advantages of bike commuting. Not only does it affect the environment but it also allows you to get much needed exercise on a daily bases.