Miami Beach Classic Race Distances
The Miami Beach Classic, which was hosted by Multirace.com, could be done as either a triathlon or duathlon. I participated in the duathlon. The race started and ended at Lummus Park on South Beach. The bike portion of the race entailed 2 laps on MacArthur Causeway. The causeway has two medium sized bridges, 2 loops meant we had to do a total of 8 bridge crossing. I swear the bridges got bigger towards the end of the bike leg, or I was just getting really tired!
Above: Bike Diva about to do a 180 degree u-turn during the bike leg of the race. That's a USAT race official behind me!
- .5 mile swim
- 18 mile bike
- 4 mile run
- 1 mile run
- 18 mile bike
- 4 mile run
Above: Bike Diva racing in South Beach. Urban biking at it's best, lots of pot holes, etc.. made for some interesting riding conditions.
Surreal Race Venue
The race started and ended at Lummus Park in Miami Beach. That's the art deco district of South Beach for you cool cats. I live in Delray Beach and car pooled with my friend Charlie Lockerson from Jupiter. He also raced in the duathlon and won first place in his age group - YEAH Chu Chu!!!! We got to South Beach at dark thirty, that is around 5:25 AM - just as the bars were shutting down for the night. Pretty weird seeing all the hoochie mamas and party boys in their fancy pants outfits with full hair, makeup, high heels, etc...
I circled A1A along the beach two times looking for a spot to park near the park, I didn't want to go to one of the parking garages. I finally saw someone leaving, late night partier? and realized there was no way I could parallel park the mini van. So we did a Chinese fire drill and Charlie and I switched places so he could park the van for me. Fun times.
During the run portion of the race we got to pass quite a few homeless bums, or hobos, as my daughter likes to call them. You could smell some of them before you could see them. Pretty sad, some of them were camped out on their own bench, surrounded by all of their earthly possessions and talking to themselves. Others were more coherent and thought they were watching a marathon race. I shouted out "it's a triathlon race" figuring they wouldn't have a clue what a duathlon is. Triathlon is a pretty expensive sport to participate in, kind of weird having the race in a park that is home to many homeless people that probably don't have enough $$ for a cup of coffee.
Above: Ride - Bike Diva - Ride! Lots of turns during the bike leg made staying in the aerobars a bit challenging at times.
Bike Diva Race Results
My first run time was great; 8:04. That was a new 1 mile PR for me. Both transition times were under 1 minute; again, happy with that. Bike time not so great, 17.72 MPH average. Those 8 bridge crossings tired me out. My second run time was horrible; 11:00 pace. Dang, I wish I could run after getting off the bike.
Part of my problem is poor nutrition. I'm burning all my fuel during the bike portion of the race and have nothing left for the second run. I did a gel pack about 25 minutes before the start of the race, but I should have done a second gel pack during the second bike loop. My friend Charlie used this method of fueling as part of his race strategy and had a terrific race.
- Run 1 - 8:04 = 8:04 pace
- Transition 1 - 57 seconds
- Bike - 58:55 = 17.72 MPH average
- Transition 2 - 56 seconds
- Run 2 - 44:02 = 11:00 pace
- Total Time - 1:52:54
- 52 out of 77 overall
- 18 out of 33 female
- 5 out of 6 age group
Bike Diva's Upcoming Races
I have 4 more duathlon races coming up in 2010
1. September 19 - Mack Cycle Bonus Round. This is the 4th in a series of 4 sprint duathlon races I've been doing out of Crandon Park in Key Biscayne. I should get double bling at this race; an award for the bonus round race and then the point series award. To compete in the point series you must have participated in 3 of the 4 races. I'm doing all 4 races in the Mack Cycle series this year.
2. October 10 - Tradition sprint duathlon in Port St. Lucie. This is the last race in the Publix Fitness Family Weekend race series. To compete in this series you must have participated in a minimum of 4 races. The Tradition race will be my 6th race in this series. I should also get double bling at this race; an award for the actual race, and then an award for my placing in the points series. Cool beans.
3. October 17 - Miami Equalizer Duathlon. This race takes place in Crandon Park on Key Biscayne. Same location as the Mack Cycle races, but a slightly different length. This will be a 1 mile run - 12 mile bike - 3.1 mile run duathlon. Not part of any race series, but I'm just a duathlon addict and signed up for the race.
4. November 14 - Miami Man. I'll be doing the 1/2 Ironman duathlon at this event, which starts from John & Penny Thompson Park in Homestead. The distance of this duathlon is a 1 mile run - 56 mile bike - 13.1 mile run! I did this race for the first time last year and placed 3rd Female Masters Overall.
There are a lot more girls signed up for this years race so I might not be on the podium this time. But as long as I beat last years time I'll be happy. Last year was my first year racing in duathlons, so being able to even do a 1/2 Ironman distance my first year was pretty cool. But we had horrible 18-21 MPH winds during the bike portion of last years race and my finishing time wasn't that great: 6 hours 50 minutes. I would be real happy if I could finish this years race in under 6 hours. It's good to have goals!
Above: Bike Diva gets 5th place female 45-49. Not my best race results, but at least I still got an award. Actually double bling for this race; finishers medal just for completing the race plus the 5th place award plaque. More bling for the trophy case!
Other Duathlon Race Reports
Here are a few links to some other duathlon race reports I've posted to my Bike Diva and Run Diva blogs.
- Bike Diva Races Mack Cycle Trilogy #1
- Run Diva Competes in First Olympic Distance Duathlon
- Run Diva Races Egg Hunt Duathlon
- 2009 Race the Troops Duathlon
- Anatomy of a Duathlon and Triathlon
- Bike Diva Races Singer Island Duathlon
- Independence Day Race at Tradewinds Park
- Bike Diva Races Mack Cycle Trilogy #3
- Run Diva Races CB Smith Duathlon 8/28/10
Above: Duatlon awards ceremony for women 45-49. Left to right; Lynn Smythe AKA the Bike Diva (5th place), Sandi Oscar (3rd place) and Linda Robertson (2nd place). 1st place and 4th place winners didn't stick around to collect their awards.
All 20 of my race photos can be viewed on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=219170&id=784091584&saved#!/album.php?aid=219170&id=784091584
Lynn Smythe AKA the Bike Diva