Race Bike Diva Race
From time-to-time I like to compete in a few cycling, running and multi-sport events. Duathlons, which are a run-bike-run format, are my favorite type of race. Of the 22 events I participated in this year, 13 of the races were duathlons. Here's a listing of awards that have been bestowed upon the Bike Diva during the 2010 race season.
Bike Diva's 2010 Awards and Accolades
- 2/07/10 - Butterfly Run - 5k - USATF 5th place women 45-49.
- 4/03/10 - Egg Hunt PFFW - sprint duathlon - USAT 2nd place women 45-49.
- 4/25/10 - West Palm Beach Race Series - 15k time trial - USAC 5th place women 45-54.
- 5/02/10 - Tri Miami - Olympic distance duathlon - USAT 1st place women 45-49.
- 5/23/10 - Singer Island PFFW - sprint duathlon - USAT 2nd place women 45-49.
- 6/05/10 - Multirace.com - sprint duathlon - USAT 3rd place female masters overall.
- 6/13/10 - West Palm Beach Race Series - 15k time trial - USAC 3rd place women 45-54.
- 6/20/10 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #1 - sprint duathlon - USAT 1st place women 45-49.
- 7/04/10 - Independence Day PFFW - sprint duathlon - USAT 4th place women 45-49.
- 7/18/10 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #2 - sprint duathlon - USAT 1st place women 45-49.
- 8/15/10 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #3 - sprint duathlon - USAT 1st place women 45-49.
- 8/28/10 - Metro PCS - sprint duathlon - USAT 3rd place female masters overall.
- 9/05/10 - Miami Beach Classic - mid distance duathlon - USAT 5th place women 45-49.
- 9/19/10 - Mack Cycle Bonus Round - sprint duathlon - USAT 2nd place women 45-49.
- 10/10/10 - Tradition PFFW Championship - sprint duathlon - USAT 2nd place women 45-49.
- 11/14/10 - Miami Man - 1/2 Ironman duathlon - USAT 2nd place women 45-49.
- 11/20/10 - 24th Annual Delray Turkey Trot - 5k - USATF 6th place women 45-49.
Point Series Awards
In addition to the individual events I competed in, I also participated in two points series. If you completed at least 4 of the 9 Publix Family Fitness events, you qualified for the points series for those races. And if you completed at least 3 of the 4 Mack Cycle races, you qualified for the points series for those races.
I did 6 of the Publix Family Fitness sprint duathlons, and placed 1st place women 45-49 in that points series. I raced in all 4 of the Mack Cycle sprint duathlons, and placed 3rd female masters overall in that points series. Female masters are the top three fastest duathletes over 40 years old - AWESOME!
Other Bike Diva Events
I did a total of 22 races and events this year. As you can see in table at the beginning of this post, I won an award at 15 of those events. The remaining events were either not races, such as the Intracoastal Waterway Century bike ride, or running only events, where I am no where near the podium. I like to race against me, myself and I, so as long as I'm about the same or improving compared to my last race, I'm pretty happy with all of my results.
This years Miami Man 1/2 Ironman duathlon, which was a 1mile run - 56 mile bike - 13.1 mile run event, was a huge improvement for me. I raced Miami Man for the first time last year, with an total time of 6 hours 50 minutes and 59 seconds which was good enough for 3rd place masters overall. This year my time was 6 hours 1 minute 36 seconds, a huge improvement of 49 minutes and 23 seconds!
Above right: Bike Diva on the podium at 2010 Miami Man.
Although my finishing time was much better this year, it was only good enough for 2nd place in my age group. There were a lot more people competing in the duathlon this year at Miami Man. I was really happy with my improvement over last year. I've lost a few pounds since last year, started meeting with a personal trainer three times per week, to work on upper body and core strength, and did a whole lot more biking and running compared to last year.
Bike Diva's Sponsors
I'd like to give a shout out to all of my sponsors that helped me out during the 2010 race season:
- Lock Laces
- Mission Skincare
- Motor Tabs
- Rudy Project
- Sock Guy
Above: The Bike Diva at the 24th Annual Delray Beach Turkey Trot. Although I am not a very fast runner, this was a 5k PR for me with an official finish time of 27:22.
2011 Race Season
It's a little too early to know what my race schedule will be for 2011. I know that Miami Man is scheduled for November 13, and I plan on doing the 1/2 Iron distance duathlon again. I want to improve my Tri Miami Olympic distance duathlon time, I finished with a time of 3:08 this year and want to be able to go sub 3 hours at that event in 2011. Tri Miami was held in May this year, but they haven't posted up the date for 2011. I will most likely compete in many of the south Florida Multirace.com duathlons, like I did this year, and am waiting for them to post up the schedule.
Above: Team in Training logo.
Team in Training
We are trying to get our local chapter of Team in Training to participate in the Honolulu century ride. That is a 100 mile road bike ride which takes place on the Hawaiian island of Oahu in the month of September. Team in Training is the main fundraising program for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In the past 5 years, my husband and I have participated in 5 century bike rides with our local TNT chapter, and have raised over $22,000 for the society during that time.
Contact Bike Diva
I would love to hear about your 2010 race season and/or any plans you have for the 2011 race season. Leave a comment at the end of this blog post, or send me an email: email@example.com.
Lynn Smythe AKA the Bike Diva