2011 will mark my 4th season of racing, and my third year of racing duathlons. I participate in the majority of the duathlons hosted by Multirace.com. Most of the Multirace.com events can be done as either a triathlon or a duathlon. Since I am swim challenged, I opt to do the duathlons.
Here is a listing of my tentative 2011 race schedule. Besides the duathlons, I plan on dong a few 5k runs and a few cycling events. All of these races take place in south Florida, unless otherwise noted.
Charity Bike Ride
I'm not sure of the exact date of the Honolulu Century Ride. We are trying to get our local Team in Training chapter to offer the Honolulu ride as one of it's fall season events. Team in Training is the main fundraising program of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. In the past 5 years my husband and I have participated in five century (100 mile) road bike rides with the society, while raising over $22,000 to help find a cure for blood cancers.
If the Honolulu century ride is a go, I will be altering my race schedule for the month of September. My husband, daughter and I plan on spending around 10 days in Oahu, if we go, so we will be traveling out to Hawaii before the rest of the TNT cycle team gets out there. Time to start saving our pennies!
Bike Diva's 2011 Race Schedule
- 1/15 - Dyer Consequences - 10k trail run - Dyer Park, West Palm Beach
- 2/06 - 9th Annual Butterfly Run - 5k run - Sabal Pines Park, Coconut Creek
- 3/06 - Spring Training Classic - 10k run - Rodger Dean Stadium, Jupiter
- 4/03 - Multirace Season Opener - sprint duathlon - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
- 4/23 - Egg Hunt - sprint duathlon - CB Smith Park, Pembroke Pines
- 5/07 - 10th Annual Race for the Arts - 5k run - John Prince Park, Lake Worth
- 5/15 - Tri Miami - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 5/22 - Riviera Beach - sprint duathlon - Ocean Mall, Singer Island
- 6/11 - TBA - sprint duathlon
- 6/19 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #1 - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 7/04 - Independence Day - sprint duathlon - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
- 7/17 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #2 - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 8/14 - Mack Cycle Trilogy #3 - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 9/04 - Labor Day Weekend - sprint duathlon - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
- 9/18 - Mack Cycle Trilogy Bonus Round - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 9/25? - Honolulu Marathon - century road bike ride - Oahu, Hawaii
- 10/09 - Race the Troops - sprint duathlon - Tradewinds Park, Coconut Creek
- 10/16 - Last Chance duathlon - sprint duathlon - Crandon Park, Key Biscayne
- 11/13 - Miami Man - half Ironman duathlon - Miami
- 11/19 25th Annual Turkey Trot - 5k run - Anchor Park, Delray Beach
Above: Bike Diva racing in a duathlon on South Beach, Miami.
I did 23 races in 2010. I was REALLY tired by the end of the year. I've been saying that I need to cut WAY back on the number of races I do in 2011. But it's so hard when there are so many awesome events to choose from. And except for the Honolulu century ride, they are all within a 20 minute to 1 1/2 hour drive from my house. Don't even get me started on the all the awesome events there are outside of Florida, not enough time or $$ in the budget to start racing out of state.
My main race of the year is the 1/2 Ironman duathlon at Miami Man in November. I don't want to totally take off time from training and racing, so I think throwing in a few 5k's during my down time will keep me from totally getting stale.
Lynn Smythe AKA the Bike Diva